Monday, November 16, 2009

Tears for Odd Haircuts



I have recently been [re]listening to Tears for Fears' "The Hurting" at my workplace. And I must say, for a band who really cheesed out in their later years, "The Hurting" is a good album. It is both poetic and sad. It has good synth and bass lines. It also boasts a few saxophone riffs.

For the record, I hate saxophones. I mean I really hate them. They remind of shitty jazz stations and Kenny G. If you want a horned instrument that provokes a little complexity and emotion, pick up a trombone. Seriously. That said, somehow TFF manages to make the sax sound, well, alright.

The album's first song, "The Hurting," is sheer '80s, with quirky changes and bright and almost-danceable beats. Sure, it's a bit sappy lyrically, but one can look past that, right?

"Mad World" is a great song. It's been covered by a myriad of musicians, but the original is still the best. Great lyrics and mood.

"Pale Shelter" may be my favorite song on the album. I like the way it feels. Sure, it has that "Weird Science" vibe but the harmonies are brilliant and the synths are cool.

"Ideas as Opiates" is probably the rawest on "The Hurting." Using a simple electronic beat and piano, the lyrics consist of:


Say what you want

Say what you will

'Cos I find you think what makes it easier

And lies spread on lies

We don't care

Belief is our relief

We don't care


'Nuff said.

"Memories Fade" is the longest song of the LP. And it feels like it, albeit there are some cool Cure-type synths in there. My other complaint - the saxophone. Please kill the saxophone, please.

"Suffer the Children" is the song many new "Indie" bands are trying to replicate and only wish they could.

On "Watch Me Bleed," the bass line was borrowed from the Cure, again. Definitely not my favorite.

Change. You can't change. Change." Enough said.

"The Prisoner" is creepy. I like creepy.

The final song, "Start of the Breakdown," contains the following lyrics:


Is this the start of the breakdown ?

Scratch the earth

Dig the burial ground

Sense of time won't be easily found

And ten out of ten

For the ones who defend

Pretend too

Breakdown is a final demand


These could easily be lyrics found on a heavy metal album. Maybe I'll start a metal band and cover TFF songs.











No comments: